Coffee & Walnut Cupcakes with Mascarpone Icing

Today is the first 'official' day of New Years Resolutions as everyone is generally too hungover to think about eating green salad on the 1st January (unless its on a KFC burger). So how are they coming along?



I myself don't have any big goals this year, only to put more recipes on the blog as in the past I've generally been too lazy. However I did risk going to the gym today on my lunch break and just as I thought not a single treadmill/cross trainer/bike was free. It was a far cry from the gym this time last week, but luckily (for me) most people will give up next week and I can go back to my normal gym routine.



In the meantime, here are some cupcakes I made over the Christmas period which I had not got around to blogging about, complete with recipe ;). These are great for anyone who loves coffee cake and you can adjust the amount of coffee essence you use to make it to your liking.

Coffee & Walnut Cupcakes with Mascarpone Icing

Makes 12

Prep 10 mins + Cook 20 mins

100g butter, softened
100g light muscovado sugar
100g self-raising flour
2 large free range eggs
3 tsp Camp coffee essence
25g walnut halves, chopped

Icing
200ml tub mascarpone
2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
12 walnut halves
1 tsp Camp coffee essence

Heat oven to 180C and line a 12 hole tin with fairy cake cases.

Beat together the butter, sugar, flour and eggs with the Camp coffee essence and a pinch of salt until creamy.

 

Stir in the chopped walnuts.


Spoon the mix into the cases and bake for 18-20 mins until light golden and springy.

Cool for a few minutes in the tin and then cool completely on a rack.

To make the icing; put the mascarpone, Camp coffee essence and the sugar into a large bowl and beat together.

Once cooled, spread a dollop of the coffee cream onto the top of each cake, then finish with a walnut half.

Happy Baking x

2 comments:

  1. I love coffee and walnut cakes, your look delish. Where can you buy coffee essence from? I've never seen it in my local supermarket before x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Flash, I found it in Sainburys. I think if you try a bigger one they should have it.

    ReplyDelete