Cupcakes fit for a Vegan Surfer Blood

I am finally on my first proper holiday of the year and I'm currently sitting in Dubai airport waiting for my plane to be refueled. I have already completed the first 8-9 hours of a 25 hour journey, but a break from being on the plane is appreciated. Its also giving me the chance to write up about some of my last baking ventures from the last month in London before my trip back to Australia where I'm going to celebrate the Christmas and New Year break with my missed friends and family.

My housemate LK and I have been very fortunate this year with gig tickets, along with many other thing we can be thankful for. Our twitter friends Surfer Blood who are awesome band from Florida were kind enough to give us guest spots to the sold out Interpol gig at Brixton Academy. I have been listening to their album for a few months now, however was yet to see them play, and I was definitely not disappointed and I think you should all check them out.

Anyway to the baking. So Thomas from Surfer Blood is the main man behind the tweets and also a vegan. Since I like to take on a challenge I thought I'd give some vegan cupcakes a go. I never thought about how many ingredients have animal products in them and I was very weary whether the mix of weird ingredients; rapeseed oil, soya butter & milk, cider vinegar, ….. would actually resemble anything that looked like a cupcake or even taste like one.

Its hard to explain the taste of these, however you can definitely taste the difference in the mixture which tastes slightly like a vegetable based cupcake and was actually very light and fluffy which I loved. The icing pretty much resembled normal cream cheese icing, except made on soya butter. The icing came out a little runny, but we made at about 11pm on a Sunday after a very long weekend, so getting the texture right to pipe this icing was far from our minds, so icing by spoon was what they got.


I think the boys enjoyed the cupcakes and tweeted this picture at us after they went off stage…. thanks guys!!


The boys enjoying the cupcakes after the show

Happy Baking x

PS.  Hey Surfer Blood, if you are reading this, we are still waiting for our champagne :)

3 comments:

  1. forgot about the chmpgn tweet im sorry. empty tweets. empty promises. empty boys
    -sb

    ReplyDelete
  2. no worries! I don't even like champagne!

    A beer next time you guys are back though please! x Laura

    ReplyDelete