My First Victoria Sponge

This is my first attempt at making a Victoria sponge cake. I’m making it for my workmate Lizzie as its her birthday. She doesn’t like cream so I’ve made it with just jam and iced it with the Hummingbird Bakery chocolate icing. I’ve used the Victoria sponge recipe from the Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache, which has an interesting twist by using potato.
The cake was much easier than I thought and was ready to go in the oven in about 10 minutes. It was meant to be split into two trays, however I didn’t have two trays and since I’m impatient, I just poured it all in to the one tray. When it cooled I cut it into half. My housemate told me to try using string instead of using a bread knife to try and cut it. This worked amazingly and would recommend using this technique.



This was also my first proper baking session using the flashy new scales. They are so awesome, they even measure ml’s! So clever!!



One thing I haven’t learnt yet is how to use the cake tin correctly. Its the tin with the removable bottom. I put this cake in the oven and it dripped out and also stuck to the bottom of the tin.

The kids seem happy enough licking the beaters with grated potato on them...



I’m quite excited about how its turned out - looking forward to taste testers tomorrow.


Happy Baking x

No comments:

Post a Comment